The Little City with Big Opportunities
Though a mere 22 miles from downtown Houston, Sugar Land, Texas is anything but a sleepy suburb. Founded as a sugar plantation in the mid-19th century, this lively and livable city is brimming with can’t miss permanent attractions and seasonal events that will keep you active and engaged. And if you do feel the need to take a break, you can just pull up a chair at one of its many chic eateries.
Check out these things to do in Sugar Land and get ready to experience the best of the biggest little city in Texas.
- At the top of the list of things to do in Sugar Land is the HMNS. Hang with a giant T-Rex, explore the secrets of a 2,000-gallon saltwater aquarium, or be amazed at images from the Hubble Telescope. Whether you go with friends or grab the grandkids, this will be a day to remember.
A Walk in the Park
- There are parks galore to explore in Sugar Land, each with its own outstanding features.
For biking and a BMX track for off-road racing, Lost Creek Park is a great choice.
Enjoy a great game of disc golf at Imperial Park.
Hike the Oyster Creek Trail.
Show off your skills at the Sugar Land Skate Park.
- Feel like a major leaguer at the batting cages in First Colony Park.
- Sugar Land boasts a premiere entertainment district loaded with sophisticated boutiques, restaurants, salons, spas and of course plenty of places to hop on a bar stool and quench your thirst after a day—or night—on the town.
- Situated on the edge of Sugar Land is the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, a majestic, man-made wonder assembled by fitting together 33,000 pieces of hand-carved marble and Turkish limestone like a huge, 3D jigsaw puzzle. This incredible Hindu temple came to life with the help of volunteers and is truly a labor of love.
- From fresh produce, and locally raised meats, to music, to artisan goods including savory locally roasted coffee beans and handcrafted jewelry, the farmer’s market has it all. Open rain or shine every Saturday from 9am to 1pm, the Farmer’s Market at Imperial is a dynamic hub where friends meet for food, fun.
Celebrate FallFall is festival time, so no list of things to do in Sugar Land is complete without mentioning a few of the outstanding seasonal opportunities in the area.
Holy Cross Pumpkin Patch | October 12-31st | 5653 W. Riverpark Dr. Sugar Land l 281-633-2000
Needville Harvest Festival | Oct. 19 - 20 | Harvest Park 3001 Violet St. Needville l 281-468-9314
Texian Market Days | Oct. 27 | George Ranch Historical Park 10215 FM 762 Richmond l 281-343-0218
iFest Live | Nov. 3 | Aliana’s Model Home Village 11200 Maybeck Dr. Richmond l 281-634-1110
Be advised, life in Sugar Land has one major problem. With such a rich assortment of entertainment and activities at your fingertips, you may have trouble finding time to enjoy it all. Life at Overture Sugar Land is a non-stop adventure that can begin as soon as you move in!